26 apply for Broward schools superintendent
Twenty-six people are vying to become Broward school’s next superintendent, including several familiar names.
Several are high-ranking officials in Broward and Palm Beach counties. Longtime administrator Valerie Wanza, chief of staff to interim Superintendent Earlean Smiley, is perhaps the best known in Broward County. She is being supported by several employee unions.
Two Palm Beach County administrators who applied when the job was open in 2022, Peter Licata and Keith Oswald, are trying again.
The School Board could choose finalists as soon as Tuesday. Here is the complete list:
- Wayne Alexander, Old Lyme, Conn.
- Stephen Bournes, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Sibyl Brooks, New Haven, Ct.
- Raymond Bryant, Thomasville, Ga.
- Nicola (Nick) Campagna, Harrellsville, N.C.
- Kwame Davis, Cleveland, Miss.
- James Drake, Gilroy, Calif.
- Michael Esposito, Helendale, Calif.
- Eric Flohr, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Stacia Foster, Coral Springs, Fla.
- Ken Goeken, Simi Valley, Calif.
- Shernette Grant, Deerfield Beach, Fla.
- Peter Licata, Boynton Beach, Fla.
- Eddie Mitchell, Aventura, Fla.
- Jason Nault, Lake Villa, Ill.
- Virgilio Ogando, Cape Coral, Fla.
- Keith Oswald, Oakland Park, Fla.
- Wanda Paul, Fulshear, Texas
- Oscar Rico, El Paso, Texas
- Senide Roque, Miami, Fla.
- Chad Schilling, Sunrise, Fla.
- Luis Solano, Macomb, Mich.
- Art Stellar, Hingham, Mass.
- Adam Taylor, Harriman, N.Y.
- Valerie Wanza, Tamarac, Fla.
- Caprice Young, Los Angeles, Calif.
This is a developing story, so check back for updates. Click here to have breaking news alerts sent directly to your inbox.