By Kelvin Obambon
The Cross River State Government has officially flagged off the distribution of 20,000 bags of fertilizers to 8,000 smallholder farmers across various agricultural value chains in the state.
The initiative, implemented under the Farm Input Support Programme (FISP), an intervention of the National Agricultural Development Fund (NADF), is designed to ease input constraints, enhance soil fertility, and boost crop yields to ensure regional food security.
Speaking during the flag-off ceremony in Calabar on Thursday, the Commissioner for Agriculture and Irrigation Development, Hon. Johnson Andiambey Ebokpo, stated that the event represents a direct transition from plans to execution following the South-South Zonal Flag-Off of FISP earlier in June.
READ ALSO: Police neutralize two suspected kidnappers, armed robbers, recover AK-47 rifle, others
“The fertilizer distribution being flagged off today is part of the support received by Cross River State through the Farm Input Support Programme,” Ebokpo said. “We are gathered not merely to mark the commencement of distribution, but to ensure that this important agricultural input gets to the farmers for whom it is intended in an orderly, transparent, and efficient manner.”
He noted that the state government adhered strictly to program guidelines to identify and enlist beneficiary farmers, adding that the administration has restructured farmer bodies, recognizing the All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN) as the apex organization alongside revived commodity groups to streamline input delivery across all local government areas.
The Commissioner also announced an addition to the state’s stockpile, revealing that 4,000 bags of NPK 15-15-15 (25kg) fertilizer donated by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) would be combined with the main allocation for statewide distribution.
He commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his commitment to agricultural transformation under the Renewed Hope Agenda, adding that the initiative aligns with Governor Otu’s “People First Agenda,” which prioritizes agriculture as an economic engine for job creation and food security.
Earlier in his welcome address, Dr Odey Ikongah, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, described the event as proof that earlier commitments were being fulfilled.
Meanwhile, Lekan Alabi, Team Lead for the National Agricultural Development Fund (NADF), in a brief remarks, emphasized that future interventions will depend on the success of this initial phase.
“The importance is that we are looking forward to food security and sustainability. The success of this also determines the next phase. As much as we are able to get impactful results, I can guarantee you that we will be coming back to Cross River,” Alabi stated.
Addressing initial doubts among local farmers, Mrs. Sampson George, State Coordinator for the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, assured farmers that all allocated supplies remain intact and secured for verified beneficiaries.
“All the fertilizers they brought to my domain are intact for you people,” George stated, urging farmers to utilize the inputs judiciously to qualify for subsequent federal support phases.
Reverend Ojikpong Bisong, Chairman of the All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN) Cross River State chapter, thanked the President, the Governor and the Commissioner, describing the support as unusual in scale and pledging that farmers would put the inputs to proper use.
A beneficiary, Chief Felix Edoki, Secretary of the National Sesame Seed Farmers Association of Nigeria, Cross River Chapter, predicted a bumper harvest across the state. Similarly, another beneficiary, Miss Vivian Efanga, AFAN Women Leader, pledged that female farmers would make productive use of the allocation.
“We will put it to use and we are not going to sell it. AFAN is going to do a lot of monitoring in Cross River State,” Efanga said.
